Oxolinic Acid Powder
To make 1 lb of medicated food:
- Put 1 lb of Koi food in a bowl
- Dissolve 10 grams (2 teaspoons) of Oxolinic acid powder in ½ cup of warm water, and then add up to ½ cup more a bit at a time to create a slurry that is not too watery nor too pasty.
- Pour the Oxolinic acid solution over the food in the bowl and mix well to coat.
- Lay the food out on newspaper in a cool, dry place to dry or on a cookie sheet in an extremely low heat oven to dry. The food must be completely dry before packaging in a resealable plastic bag.
- Store in a cool dry place or the refrigerator. The food will last about 2 weeks. Do not feed moldy food to your fish.
Feed a minimum of 10 days. Continue the treatment even if the fish improves for the total 10-day course. Treating for 14-21 days is even better.
**You will need .15 lbs of food for each pound of fish for the entire 10-day course.
|10-day dose||Use .15 lbs of food per lb of fish|
|14-day dose||Use .21 lbs of food per lb of fish|
|21-day dose||Use .32 lbs of food per lb of fish|
Not sure how many lbs your fish weighs?
To calculate how much your fish weighs, use this formula:
Weight in ounces = length of fish x length of fish x length of fish / 144
|Regular-finned Koi = measure from nose to tip of tail|
|Long-finned Koi = measure from nose to where tail starts|
A 16” Koi fish is 16 x 16 x 16 / 144 = 28.4 ounces
= 1.78 lbs. x .15 lbs food (ten-day dose) = .27 lbs of food.
So, a little over a quarter lbs of food divided into 10 doses fed one dose per day.
**For fish use only! Not for human consumption.